[free-sklyarov] New stuff up on EFF

Daniel Richards kyhwana at world-net.co.nz
Mon Oct 15 03:15:36 PDT 2001

On 14 Oct 2001, at 17:48, Alex Katalov wrote:
[snip]
> Lets imagine:
>
> 1) We (ElcomSoft) make some commercial software which use Prof.
> Felten's algoritms
>
> 2) We sign some contract with Felten, that he donates this algoritm to
> us for any use for free (i.e. he personally will have not any
> commercial relations with Elcomsoft at all).
>
> 3) Inside the software (according to the Russian's copyright law)
> we'll write:  "(c)Edward Felten, Elcomsoft".
>
> 4) Then we put this software for sale from our website.
>
> 5) Then Prof. Felten will go to some conference in the USA to have a
> speach about _his_algoritm_, but uses our software for demonstration.
>
> What DoJ will do in this case?
Why, they'd arrest his ass, probably at the urging of whichever
company elcomsoft has pissed off today.
(Hey, that's a neat catchphrase..
"Elcomsoft, which company do you want to piss off today?!"
Hmm, nah, it needs a little work.
Maybe "Elcomsoft, pissing off <insert company here> since <date
of password cracker release>"(tm, of course)

Hmm, will Elcomsoft continue making programs that may be illegal in
the US or not? (And just make sure not to visit there, of course)

http://www.freesklyarov.org - Free Dmitry!
PGP Pub key:
http://solfire.com/~kyhwana/shell/DanielRPubKey.asc
Fingerprint: 416D 4027 D635 AF51 F2BF  60DF 4D94 F7A0 9893 2848