[free-sklyarov] Re: [DMCA_discuss] Hollings Schedules SSSCA Hearings October 25

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Oct 20 18:53:33 PDT 2001

on Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 02:16:53PM -0700, Christopher R. Maden (crism at maden.org) wrote:
> > hurt
> > miss out
>
> Good luck.  The Southern Baptists have been boycotting Disney for
> years over their same-sex partner benefits and general friendliness
> towards queers.  There are a lot more of them than there are angry
> nerds, and Disney hasn't even flinched.

Our constituency extends to anyone with a tape deck, VCR, or CD-R.  Heat
notwithstanding, there's a lot of folks who more or less don't care what
people do in their own bedrooms.  The Baptists are trying to pit people
against people.  That only goes so far, particularly once you're outside
the choir.

> If you do go about this, remember that it means no ESPN or ABC, and
> that you tell the advertisers so, and why.  And no Mighty Ducks games,
> either.

ESPN is a good point.  SSCA 103(b)'s "time shifting" provision read
narrowly means you can kiss goodbye the idea of taping a game to watch
The Play again and again, or that Olympic moment, or possibly your son's
school being profiled for three minutes on the Six O'Clock News.

Jeff Gerhardt of The Linux Show is calling for a Disney boycott.  While
the actions he calls for are good, I'd like to see a streetfront
movement.  Disney stores are located in high-profile areas around the
US:  Times Square in New York, Michigan Avenue in Chicago, Union Square
in San Francisco, and many other locations.  A large listing is
available online:

    http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/Stores/storelocations.html

As this is likely to be a slow retail season at best, additional
pressure on Disney (or other retail locations associated with
copyright subversion practices:  Virgin superstores, Tower Records, Sam
Goody's, the Warehouse) will have a negative impact on already weak
sales.  Many of us have a bit of spare time on our hands.  I'd be more
than happy to spend a few weekends on Union Square in SF.

What we're missing at the moment are materials, particularly flyer
templates.  I'm looking for materials and suggestions for same, as well
as layout help possibly.  Reproduction can of course be distributed.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>       http://kmself.home.netcom.com/