[free-sklyarov] BSA, DMCA statement on indictment

Robert A. Knop Jr. rknop at pobox.com
Sun Sep 2 18:28:22 PDT 2001

> The Business Software Alliance's members include bascially every major
> technology player.
>
> http://www.bsa.org/usa/press/newsreleases//2001-08-30.692.phtml

Here's my favorite quote:

   Law enforcement actions are critical to the BSA's anti-piracy efforts, which
   resulted in over $11 billion in loses to the industry last year alone.

Well, heck, if the BSA's anit-piracy efforts are so costly, they should be
stopped RIGHT NOW! :)

Regards what they really meant to say, I think we all know that the $11
billion estimate is utter hooey.  It is probably based on generous estimates
of how far each bootleg copy goes (i.e. how many times it is passed around),
and on the assumption that everybody who got a bootleg copy would have
purchased a legitimate copy if they didn't have the bootleg one.  Both
probably false.

Of course, although I know the BSA doesn't mean to say this, there are
*real* costs associated with time lost to the software piracy patrol
requiring everybody "demonstrate compliance."

-Rob