[free-sklyarov] _Alice_ read aloud

Seth Johnson seth.johnson at RealMeasures.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 3 08:29:30 PDT 2001

Yep.  The copyright inheres in the originality evidenced by the
selection and arrangement of its elements, not in the elements
themselves.

Plus, since Feist Publications, it's irrelevant whether Mr. Maden put in
more work than Lewis Carroll.  There is no "sweat of the brow" doctrine.

Copyright is intended to benefit the public, and only proposes to
benefit authors as a means to that end.

What the DMCA is now expressing is the fact that the power given to
Congress to grant "exclusive right" to authors is no longer viable,
except at the untenable expense of policing the most intricate aspects
of people's free use of information -- a result that is anathema to the
very design and principles of American society.

(This is not legal advice, etc. etc.)

Seth Johnson
Committee for Independent Technology