[free-sklyarov] Adobe FAQ

Will Janoschka wiljan at pobox.com
Mon Sep 3 18:58:46 PDT 2001

on Mon, 3 Sep 2001 19:45:50 Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU said:

> Well, I think most of us are still boycotting.  And I think that
> they should be boycotted until the damage they inflicted is
> undone.  IMHO it's insufficient if they simply express regret
> or take this or that stance on the issue.
>          Scott

   This Adobe stuff gets more and more confusing.  Why was Adobe not charged
   with trafficking and circumventing?  They did it in before a US law
   enforcement officer.   If the FBI/DoJ believes that AEBPR does meet the
   requirements under 17 USC 1201, don't they have an obligation to bring
   charges against those who violate the law?  US customs has warnings
   about importing stuff via the internet, i.e the buyer is the importer
   always.  US customs provides no tariff on imported software, but again
   they caution that if an item is illegal to import to the US the importer
   not the exporter is violating US law.  Also a money broker is not an
   importer.  Adobe profited from the import be getting the FBI to arrest a
   person that was saying to the world that Adobe software is "crap".

   1. DoJ says AEBPR is a circumvention device.
   2. An Adobe employee imported this circumvention device for Adobe.
   3. An Adobe employee "circumvented" before a law officer.
   4. Arrest the employee and indict Adobe.

   There is a way that the FBI could avoid that, but do they have the papers?
    show the "Sting order".              -will-