[free-sklyarov] Adobe FAQ

Martin Baker martinb at kemokid.com
Tue Sep 4 12:10:20 PDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Don Marti wrote:

> Don't forget our secret weapon, the concerned Adobe employees.
> We should do everything we can to keep them on our side,

I don't think Adobe employees are on our side, on the whole. Adobe seems
to have given them quite a bit of propaganda. I spoke briefly to one
person I know who works there, and he said of Sklyarov, "Well, it'd be one
thing if he gave it away, but he was selling it for money. That's clearly
piracy." Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to follow up or correct
him.

A co-worker told me about his conversation with an Adobe employee - he
neutrally mentioned the Free Dmitry protests, and she, assuming he was
sympathetic to Adobe, was very virulently anti-Dmitry, feeling that he had
was basically a criminal and deserved jail time.

The implication in both cases was that Dmitry was selling Adobe software,
or perhaps some part of Adobe software in his own product. So I believe
that Adobe employees are the victim of some incredible misinformation from
Adobe - the same confusion of reverse engineering with "piracy" that the
BSA is trying to push.

Martin