[free-sklyarov] Adobe Seminar

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Tue Sep 4 16:28:55 PDT 2001

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001, Richard M. Smith wrote:

> Besides information about the Sklyarov case, it would be nice to also
> have a write-up entitled "Why MS Reader is a better choice for eBooks"
> to give to attendees.  Perhaps such a document already exists on the Web
> that can easily be printed out.

	I think an important goal is to convince publishers that eBook
	restrictions are ultimately vapor, and expensive vapor at that.
	You want to let potential investors know that they're looking
	at an impossible technology and an impossible business model.
	They might as well be investing in perpetual motion machines.

	This is almost reminiscent of the dot com boom:  people bought
	into a beautiful dream that violated common sense, ultimately
	leading to a crash.  Here, the dream is to control (and meter)
	that which is ultimately uncontrollable, legally and
	technologically.  If investors realize that this is another
 	"bubble," maybe they'll back off.

	What kind of people will be at this seminar?  Publishers?
	Investors?  People from eBook-related technology companies?

							Scott