[free-sklyarov] Adobe wipes their hands clean of Skylarov

Robloch at aol.com Robloch at aol.com
Wed Sep 5 03:29:55 PDT 2001

Now that they have explained why they are not responsible, I'm sure everyone
will accept their case and won't blame them in any respect. NOT.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3451

By Sam Costello

Adobe is not planning to aid the Russian programmer who is facing 15 years in
jail for alleged copy-control infringements against the company.

Despite its initial support for Dmitry Sklyarov's arrest, Adobe soon fell
into line with general calls for the Russian's release. However, the US
government has not dropped the charges against Sklyarov, or his Moscow-based
company, Elcomsoft.

Adobe general counsel Colleen Pouliot said:

"All we have done is express our public sentiment that we don't support the
prosecution of this individual in this particular case. Adobe will do no more
than that, she said."

Pouliot also denies that Adobe has any responsibility for Sklyarov's
prosecution: "We provided information to the government about what ElcomSoft
was doing" and the government made its own decision about whom to arrest and
prosecute.

"If Sklyarov does go to jail, that's an outcome our system has provided,"
Pouliot added