[free-sklyarov] Adobe wipes their hands clean of Skylarov

David Haworth david.haworth at altavista.net
Wed Sep 5 06:02:03 PDT 2001

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 07:40:59AM -0500, Kurt Foss wrote
(quoting Adobe's advertisements):

> " [...] It is virtually impossible for an unauthorized party
> to find the right key, even if that party is equipped with the best
> computers."

Well, that could be construed as misleading - it's literally true
that to find the right key by brute force (guesswork) is "virtually
impossible", but as any competent cryptanalyst knows, brute force
is usually not the best way. Key management is a common weak point,
and in fact is the obvious weak point for _all_ PC-based "protection"
systems, since the key must be there somewhere. All you have to do
is find it.

But in any case, this is talking about Adobe's content server. I'm
looking specifically for claims made about the eBook reader, any of
which, if made, will be trivially disprovable.

Dave

BTW: There's a complaint form at the "National Consumer Complaint
Center" (http://www.alexanderlaw.com/nccc/). Would some interested
US citizen care to file a complaint about this site
(http://www.ebookpro.com/). I think theirs is one of the plug-ins
that Dmitry ridiculed.

--
David Haworth