[free-sklyarov] A constructive form of protest

proclus at iname.com proclus at iname.com
Fri Sep 7 13:42:30 PDT 2001

On  7 Sep, Bob La Quey wrote:
> At 03:57 AM 9/7/01 -0400, John Dempsey wrote:
>>This man Touretzky has collected some alternative devices:
>>http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Adobe/Gallery/index.html
>
> Thanks John,
>
> I will check it out.
>
>>I am in total agreement about a professional boycott of Adobe tools,
>>specifically by identifying alternatives.  Perhaps more effective then my
>>approach.
>>http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=4687962&tid=adbe&sid=468
>>7962&mid=17586
>>http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=4687962&tid=adbe&sid=468
>>7962&mid=17585

These messages are VERY distressing, and I'm speechless.

> Armed with the knowledge of the existing competing products we can
> then turn toward the question of where Open Source/Free programming
> energy can be best deployed.

Although we have left off of the boycott, GNU-Darwin does indeed aim to
displace Adobe products and replace them with free software.  With
nothing as aggressive as a boycott, we have been explaining how to use
free software instead of proprietary.  Most of that material is on our
download news page with headings like "Word Processing", "Make PDF
files", etc.

http://gnu-darwin.sourceforge.net/download.html

The binaries are specific for Darwin, but the instructions are
generally applicable.  All of the software is freely available on the
net.

Anyone on this list should feel free to contact
me directly, if you need help getting up and running with free
software.  I'm not just good with Darwin, but also with
Mac OS, GNU/Linux, Commercial Unix, OpenBSD, and probably all of the
other BSDs as well.

In addition, there were many messages posted to this forum at the
height of the boycott which suggested Adobe alternatives.  If you go
back to the messages that were posted in the first week, you will find
many such suggestions.

This is a "big picture" maneuver.  Use free software which has been
created for the benefit of the community, and you will weaken the grasp
of the globalist cartels, who give us many different problems just like
the DMCA.

We will renew the boycott, if Abobe renews their antagonism towards
Dmitry.  Their apathy and inaction, though deplorable, is not grounds
for a general boycott IMHO.  They gave us what we asked for, and we
ended the boycott.  All we are asking is that they honor that agreement
in good faith.

http://zork.net/pipermail/free-sklyarov/2001-September/004089.html

Regards,
proclus