[free-sklyarov] Re: Adobe would love to hear from you!

Micheas Herman micheas at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 20:11:38 PDT 2001

On Fri, 2001-09-07 at 18:27, Bob La Quey wrote:
> Bravo Spiderwoman!
>
> May I reccommend the Gnu Image Manipulation Program, the GIMP,
> better in many ways then Photoshop. See http://www.gimp.org/

The only problem is if you need panatone color matching. panatone is
patented and not included in us versions of the GIMP
<insert software patents diatribe here>
The other publishing software that is lacking is quarkXpress or an
equivilent (LyX is not wysiwyg and LaTeX has all the power that quark
does it does not alow you to see what your doing as your doing it.
something very necesary for visual artists)

Linux (and all flavors of UNIX) have better postscript tools

> You will need a Linux box, or dual boot if you must keep
> Windows around. Your local Linux group can often help you.
> http://www.linux.org/groups/

not needed.  GIMP installs just fine on win2K as a win32 app(though you
will hate the number of windows that it generates in the start bar.
you can also install an X server on your win2k box and run gnome (which
includes the GIMP) in the X session using ALT-F4 to flip between your
win32 desktop and your X sesion.
It took me about a day and a half to hunt down every thing with google
and install everything. this is a project for some one computer literate

> Look for an Installfest near your space and time :)
> Your 707-995 => Lower Lake CA implies that you could
> get dwon to the bay area easily where there would be
> lots of friendly help available.

great recomendation  I prefer linux for most things and if I must use
Windows I  will always install cygwin  and if it will be a long project
I would definetly install gnome and look to see if KDE has been ported
yet. linux is much better at networking (faster and can talk to a much
greater variety of computers) it is faster., especialy if youcompile
your own kernel (most people don't bother and most of the benchmarks
that show linux performing faster than kin2k as a smb file server us the
very slow redhat kernels) If you go to an installfest you can talk some
one into installing debian on your system for you. Debian boxes are the
only boxesthat I have been able to keep upto date with all the security
patches easily. the problem with debian is that it is a pain to install
but if you get someone else to do it  :-)

If you are a serios Graphic designer you are probably using mac os if
you install linux on your mac you can run a program that lets you run
all your old mac programs in linux. It takes a bit to set up but Ihave
heard that yellodog linux makes it almost seemless and very easy to
install  ( I have no idea whose definition of easy was used.)

also if you use windows on a computer and decide to donate the computer
because you got a better computer. if you have an OEM licence (the copy
that normally comes pre installed on new computers)you  do not have the
right to give that copy to the non profit and ar screwing them because
they will get a call from microsoft offering to sell them the software
you thought you donated to them for 80% of full retail..
so when I give away my amdk6 that is perfectly usable my only concern is
going to be finding someone who wants a fully setup linux computer
(something that will not be hard) where as some one who donates a
computer with windows on it should probably donate the computer to an
organization that they hate because the computer will probably cost them
more than it's worth.

(yes I know there are organizations like compumentor that sell reduced
price copies of software to nonprofits but nonprofits still have to
purchase them and maintain records of what theyhave licences for instead
of whatever they were suposed to be doing with their donations.)