[free-sklyarov] Re: [DMCA_discuss] FC: Sen. Hollings plans to introduce DMCA sequel: The SSSCA

Jon O . jono at microshaft.org
Sun Sep 9 21:47:58 PDT 2001

On 09-Sep-2001, tom poe wrote:
> On Sunday 09 September 2001 21:56, Eric wrote:
> > I think it would be great if someone could set forth a comprehensive list
> > of specific activities that we now currently do but that would be
> > prohibited under the proposed bill.  It is hard for me to explain to my
> > friends how sucky this bill is unless I can present a parade of horribles
> > of this bill. And it would be nice to have my facts straight on specific,
> > deleterious consequences of this bill before I do so.
> >

> Hello:  I'm gonna take a worst case scenario.
> Manufacturers will be required to put "security" into all computers, cdroms,
> floppy disk drives, hard drives, cpu's, motherboards, monitors, speakers, ad
> infinitem?
>
> The "security" code will be such that if anyone attempts to use an
> "unregistered" cd, floppy disk, application, the next time your modem is
> hooked up, or cable, or whatever to access the Internet, the "authorities"
> will be notified, not to mention, you won't be able to type "hello, world"
> without someone's receiving the "proper registration" beforehand.
>
> I'm now watching for info about "registering" to use the damn internet.  That
> will be interesting.  Just a thought, Tom

This is not worst case, see my previous email:

4. Read this:
The Right to Read: Richard M. Stallman
Take note about how the activities of the students are reported to Central Licensing.

Compare the Central Licensing idea with this:

SSSCA SECTION 102:
"An interactive computer service shall store and transmit with integrity any
security measure associated with certified security technologies that is used
in connection with copyrighted material or other protected content such service
transmits or stores."

Yes, please pick your jaw back up off the floor.

The very fact that they are even proposing this means we are in *VERY*
Big Trouble.

Now, I just quickly skimmed over the proposed bill so I could be way off,
also I am not a lawyer. Anyway, feel free to pass this mail to anyone
and correct me where I may be misunderstanding something.