[free-sklyarov] Article: Manage Digital Rights, Don't Enforce Them

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 10 16:38:05 PDT 2001

on Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 06:14:30PM -0500, James S. Huggins (Free Sklyarov) (FreeSklyarov at ZName.com) wrote:

> http://ecommerce.internet.com/news/insights/ectech/article/0,3371,10378_879711,00.html
>

> I read the article. I'm not sure I understand the distinction it is
> attempting to make.

The article is pitching a weak watermarking technology, bundled with a
"guilt 'em into compliance" scheme.  It's aimed at opposing the current
no-holds-barred attitude toward unauthorized content duplication.

The social engineering attitude is a marginal improvement.  The
technology itself is likely flawed, for reasons already covered by Bruce
Schneier and others WRT copy protection in general.  Unfortunately, the
DMCA gives criminal strength to enforcement against those who attempt
circumvention:  corporate strategy doesn't lessen criminal liabilities.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>          http://kmself.home.netcom.com/