[free-sklyarov] courses of action

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Sep 10 17:00:13 PDT 2001

begin Kenneth Burger quotation of Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 07:36:24PM -0400:

> I dunno, but if this one gets passed, I'm leaving the US for another
> country.  Probably one of the Scandanavian countries.  I'll come back when
> the people are getting ready to start a civil war and join in that movement,
> but in the mean time I'm not going to live under that kind of tyranny.

That's one choice, but you can do a lot as a Federal prisoner.
You can get visitors and send and receive postal mail.  The US does
not recognize "political prisoner" status but you may be able to
get human rights organizations in other countries to designate you
as one.

Unfortunately you may not be able to pass along your genes as a
prisoner, so it might be a good idea for a hacker, even one not in
a relationship, to archive his/her ova or sperm.  That way when
you go to prison you and your spouse or lover on the outside can
still decide to have a child if you want.

Spending a few years in the relatively dorm-like surroundings of
a Federal prison for nonviolent offenders is a hell of a lot less
than many people have suffered for freedom.

Would I go?  I don't have the skills of a Dmitry Sklyarov or a
Jon Johansen, but if somebody gave me useful new fair-use-enabling
code to run in the magazine I work for, I would risk Federal time.
(And the media loves journalist-in-prison stories.)

--
Don Marti      What do we want?  Free Dmitry!  When do we want it?  Now!
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Free Dmitry: http://eff.org/