[free-sklyarov] SSSCA - Analysis (Q&D)

David HM Spector spector at zeitgeist.com
Mon Sep 10 19:46:49 PDT 2001

alfee cube <sisgeek at yahoo.com> writes...
 >i have seen them blithesomely pass legislation far
 >more repressive to individual rights than the s3ca!!
 >
 >i chalk most of it up to the politicians whoring for
 >their patrons. fortunately, most courts strike the
 >legislation down before it causes to much harm. (but
 >not always:(
 >
 >the political whores with any conscientious left
 >usually hope the legislation is struck down, thereby
 >getting their money for the trick and still able to
 >live with themselves.

Uh-huh...And look how quickly the DMCA has been struck down!

This is a bad way to look at these things, laws are rarely struck
down, and if parts of them are, the remainder of the law remains in
effect. The only way to stop this is to get on the phone and write
letters en-mass to your congress people.  Buy some stock in the
companies pushing this crap and start complaining to the shareholder
hotlines.  Start writing articles and editorials for your local paper.

If you're just too busy/lazy/bored to do any of that, then give money
to the EFF.  Do SOMETHING!!!!!

Laws like the DMCA and the SSSCA are the "Nuremberg Laws" for
programmers, scientists and intellectuals.

If you want them to come to pass, just keep quiet...

     ``... In Germany they first came for the Communists and I didn't
     speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the
     Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they
     came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I
     wasn't a trade unionist.  Then they came for Catholics, and I
     didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for
     me-and by that time no one was left to speak up...''

			Pastor Martin Niemoller

There never was a more appropriate quote for our age if you really
look at what's going on here.  Perhaps we should add:

     "Then they came for the programmers...."

_DHMS
David HM Spector              spector at zeitgeist.com/spector at dropzonenetworks.com
President & Co-founder                                    voice: +1 631.261.5013
DropZone Networks,LLc