[free-sklyarov] courses of action

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Sep 10 21:59:59 PDT 2001

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 06:01:59PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> The Adobe protests weren't going to do anything either.  So...why was it
> that I found myself walking backwards leading a group of some sixty
> protesters back to their HQ in San Jose this July, after we got a phone
> call from inside "Hey, psst, bring 'em back here, that's really
> helping".

Unfortunately 60 people marching on Capitol Hill won't even get you
noticed. (Capitol Hill is actually a pretty big place, perhaps 10
blocks by 10 blocks for the portions we care about.) If you get 6,000
people, the Washington Post may run a story buried inside the Metro
Section. Get 60,000, and it's the front page of the Metro
section. 600,000 and it's on the front page of the A section.

DC works by different rules than Silicon Valley. Since congresscritters
do controversial things all the time (half are pro-life, the other
are pro-choice), they're inured to protests.

-Declan