[free-sklyarov] Re: FBI operation penetrates hacker underground Computerworld News & Features Stor

tom poe tompoe at renonevada.net
Wed Sep 12 09:28:29 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 12 September 2001 06:58, Keith Handy wrote:
> free-sklyarov-request at zork.net wrote:
> > From: "James S. Huggins \(Free Sklyarov\)" <FreeSklyarov at ZName.com>
> > To: "Free Sklyarov List" <free-sklyarov at zork.net>
> > Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 13:52:03 -0500
> > Subject: [free-sklyarov] FBI operation penetrates hacker underground
> > Computerworld News & Features Stor
> >
> > http://www.computerworld.com/storyba/0,4125,NAV47_STO63711,00.html
> >
> > This story, and others to follow, will work to corrupt the term "hacker"
> > over the next few days.
> >
> > James S. Huggins
>
> Why don't you all just let that one go?  We don't *need* the term
> "hacker".  I see the fight to control the public's perception of a term
> as a waste of energy.  Start using another term.

Hello:  Good point on both accounts.

How about:
UP   [Unpaid Programmers]
LP   [Linux Programmers]
FP   [Free Programmers]
CP   [Computer Programmers]
RP   [Real Programmers]
CUO's  [Computer Unpaid Officianados]
BS  [Bugtraq Subscribers]

Now, that last one is interesting.  If everyone that was interested in
considering themselves part of the Open Source Movement, Linux-related OS
workers, etc., were to take responsibility for joining the Bugtraq list,
there would be a singular quasi-official listing made available for the
leaders of each organization that is working to promote Open Source as an
alternative to M$ and proprietary technology.  The listing would provide
subscribers a way to measure the countless numbers of individuals around the
world that have common interests.  The "opposition" would have more problems
dealing with the sizable population statistics that now are just scattered,
and few.  The maintainers of the Bugtraq list would need to do nothing more
than what they are doing now, but this list would provide a central,
universally acceptable point of contact representing the global population of
"hobbyists" and "enthusiasts", regardless of whether one works with BSD,
Linux, other distributions, Open Source products and projects, etc.  And,
most importantly, it's a list everyone should be on anyway, if they want to
keep abreast of what's happening.  Just a thought.  Tom