[free-sklyarov] Topicality

Will Janoschka wiljan at pobox.com
Wed Sep 12 12:05:37 PDT 2001

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:33:43 Edmund A. Hintz ed at hintz.org said:
> On 9/12/01 9:32 AM, schoen at loyalty.org thus spake:
>>However, can we free Dmitry Sklyarov, who is still stuck in this
>>troubled country, now in the company of his family, who had already
>>been afraid to travel to the U.S. before?

>Hear hear!
> Peace,

Back to Dmitry.  Would it help his case if we could get across that not only
hackers, nerds, geeks, programmers, and cryptoweirdos  are affected.

I am especially concerned  that people think they "understand" the buzzwords
in the DMCA.   Under 17 USC 1201 (b)  Anything can be a technological measure.
Shinkwrap a paperback book,  that is a technological measure protecting the
management rights listed on the inside front cover.  You have permission to
remove the shinkwrap, after purchase, only if you agree to the rights
managements on the inside front cover.

 Inside front cover:
   1. You may not sell or give this book to any individual or organization.
   2. You may read this book only within 10 ft of the shinkwrap removal
      location, then only when no others are about.
   3. You may not copy any portion for any use.
   4. You may not read this book aloud.
   5. You may not return this book for refund.
   6. You may not make disparaging remarks about this book.
   7. You may not mention these rights management to anyone.

Furthermore, should you discourage any person from purchasing this or any
  shinkwraped book, you may be charged with circumventing this technological
  measure.
                                                -will-