[free-sklyarov] Libertarian party is not our friends, they are no better then the democrats and republicans.

Xcott Craver sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU
Wed Sep 12 12:16:06 PDT 2001

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001, Charles Eakins wrote:

> What Mr. Browne is
> basically saying is we deserved to have innocent Men, Women, and Children
> killed, even though again we don't know for sure who committed this atrocity
> for a fact.

	I didn't get that impression at all from this article.  Either
	it was changed very recently or you posted the wrong URL.  He's
	not saying anyone deserved to die, but that our foreign policy
	is likely to provoke acts of terrorism against us.  That's very
	different from saying that anyone deserved anything.

	I don't wholly agree with his "mind our own business" stance
	(sometimes there are Holocausts, and we can not mind our own business)
	but I thought the rest of his article was fairly bang on.
	Murderers are made, not born, and sometimes *we* make them.

	As for the libertarian party, you have to remember that *no* major
	political party is completely aligned with a pro civil liberties
	stance.  Even the libertarians.  I've had baffling discussions
	with [self-proclaimed] libertarians, who believe the DMCA is good
	because it allows fair use disputes to be resolved by market
	forces, rather than by law.  I.e., companies sell restrictive
	technologies and consumers "vote with their wallets."  The anti-
	circumvention part prevents people from circumventing the market.

							Xcott