[free-sklyarov] The tragedy in NYC (fwd)

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 12 23:07:06 PDT 2001

on Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 01:09:14AM -0400, Jay Sulzberger (jays at panix.com) wrote:

<...>

> In the wake of the tragedy in NYC today, I was asked by someone if I
> didn't now agree that crypto was a munition. At the time, I thought
> that a friend of mine was likely dead. (I've since learned he escaped
> in time.)
>
> My answer then, when I thought I'd lost a friend, was the same as my
> answer now and the answer I've always had.
>
> Cryptography must remain freely available to all.
>
> In coming months, politicians will flail about looking for freedoms to
> eliminate to "curb the terrorist threat". They will see an opportunity
> to grandstand and enhance their careers, an opportunity to show they
> are "tough on terrorists".

More food for thought:  possible impacts of a declaration of war.

The following is speculation on what a US declaration of war would have
meant for the 1999 Yugoslavian crisis.

http://www.wsws.org/articles/1999/apr1999/war-a15.shtml

    A declaration of war would create a very different legal framework
    within the United States than that which prevailed during the
    Vietnam War, when massive antiwar demonstrations took place
    regularly in the US capital and other cities. It would mean a sharp
    curtailment of democratic rights and civil liberties, the imposition
    of military censorship on the press, and political and physical
    repression of dissenting views.

Peace.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>          http://kmself.home.netcom.com/