[free-sklyarov] Topicality

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Thu Sep 13 01:50:55 PDT 2001

On Wed, Sep 12, 2001 at 01:49:39PM -0700, Jeme A Brelin wrote:
> > >    4. You may not read this book aloud.
> >
> > can we PLEASE remove that point from this and any future discussions?
> > it is factually incorrect and will only harm us.
>
> Well, is it any more absurd than other arbitrary restrictions placed by
> publishers on copyrighted works using their "effective access controls"?

this is the disabling of a FEATURE. if you want to compare e-books to
regular books, then you have to realize that regular books don't
contain a "read aloud" feature.

> I understand that the whole Alice thing was misrepresented, but this isn't
> an Alice reference, I don't think.

it doesn't matter. "read aloud" has nothing to do with what YOU can do
with the e-book.

make a proveable false statement and your enemy will tear your WHOLE
argument apart. using "read aloud" in our argumentation is PR suicide.