[free-sklyarov] Topicality

David Haworth david.haworth at altavista.net
Thu Sep 13 02:08:56 PDT 2001

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:50:55AM +0200, Tom wrote:

> this is the disabling of a FEATURE. if you want to compare e-books to
> regular books, then you have to realize that regular books don't
> contain a "read aloud" feature.

If the eBook reader software has the feature, what gives the publisher
the right to disable it? Or rather, to put it on a more certain legal
footing, which particular right under copyright law are they claiming
when they invoke the clause against "circumvention of technological
measures that protect ..." part of the law. There's certainly nothing
in the DMCA or any other copyright law, that I can see. And yet if
I work around the restriction, I find myself liable to prosecution
because in working around that one I necessarily work around them
all.

Dave

--
David Haworth