[free-sklyarov] Topicality

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Thu Sep 13 03:03:20 PDT 2001

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 11:08:56AM +0200, David Haworth wrote:
> > this is the disabling of a FEATURE. if you want to compare e-books to
> > regular books, then you have to realize that regular books don't
> > contain a "read aloud" feature.
>
> If the eBook reader software has the feature, what gives the publisher
> the right to disable it?

he doesn't need a right to do that, because you do NOT have a right to
a text-to-speech feature. so he can do whatever he damn well pleases,
and as much as I believe these people are moronic control freaks, I'm
with them on this one.

seriously, this is a PR suicide. trying to claim a RIGHT for a
text-to-speech feature? get real.

> Or rather, to put it on a more certain legal
> footing, which particular right under copyright law are they claiming
> when they invoke the clause against "circumvention of technological
> measures that protect ..." part of the law. There's certainly nothing
> in the DMCA or any other copyright law, that I can see. And yet if
> I work around the restriction, I find myself liable to prosecution
> because in working around that one I necessarily work around them
> all.

we don't have to discuss circumvention law. everyone who voted/s for the
DMCA/EUCD deserves to be shot.