[free-sklyarov] Topicality

Tom tom at lemuria.org
Thu Sep 13 03:08:43 PDT 2001

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 11:37:03AM +0200, David Haworth wrote:
> > text-to-speech conversion is a right? have you read what you're writing?
>
> Yes, I read it very carefully. I think the right to use something you
> own in any way you wish (within reason) is pretty fundamental.

sure it is. and nobody is stopping you from reading the e-book aloud to
your kids.

the text-to-speech feature is disabled for certain e-books. that may be
moronic, stupid, short-sighted and customer-unfriendly, but it sure
isn't ILLEGAL.

notice that I'm absolutely with you on the CIRCUMVENTION question. yes,
I should have a right to do with my e-book as I please, and if I find a
way to make it output speech, that shouldn't be a crime.

I'm absolutely NOT with you if you want a law that requires e-book
makers to turn on all the features. or if you claim that text-to-speech
capability is a RIGHT. it's not and claiming that it is will discredit
your WHOLE argument about anti-circumvention and content control.