[free-sklyarov] Writing Congress does help! (was Re: courses of action)

Robert A. Knop Jr. rknop at pobox.com
Thu Sep 13 13:05:12 PDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 03:06:39AM +0000, Jonathan Nichols wrote:

> > The things you suggest to do instead of writing letters are all good things
> > to do.  But EVERYBODY, WRITE THOSE LETTERS.  Tell your representatives and
> > senators what you think of the SSSCA.  Write politely and intelligently, but
> > WRITE.  It's the least any of us can do, and if enough of us do it, it might
> > really make a difference.
> >
> > -Rob Knop
>
> He's right... but when he says "write".. I hope he means "get a
> pen/pencil/crayon/charcoal and paper, and scrawl out thoughts in your own
> handwriting" instead of using a pre-printed letter you found on the Net
> somewhere. :)
>
> Am I right, Rob?

Most definitely.  To be honest, when I did it, I used my computer keyboard
and LaTeX, but I did write my own letter.  (I also sent it on to my parents
and my in-laws, so they'd have some idea what I'm on about, but I composed
it from scratch.)

If that is too much to do, then by all means print out, sign, and mail in a
letter you got from the EFF or elsewhere.  That's better than doing nothing.
But if you can take the extra half-hour it will take to write your own
letter, it will be much more effective.

Writing our representatives is the least we can do.

-Rob