[free-sklyarov] Feature "rights"

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Sep 14 17:30:47 PDT 2001

on Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 08:15:18PM -0400, Xcott Craver (sacraver at EE.Princeton.EDU) wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, John Dempsey wrote:
>
> > In my mind I'm realizing the need for a "correct" DMCA, as it's Congress'
> > obligation to protect copyright of media that does deliver on the
> > purchaser's ownership rights.
>
> 	But here's a question:  what would even be in a "correct" DMCA?
>
> 	That is:  if you take away the fair use infringements, what's
> 	in there that plain old ordinary copyright law wouldn't handle
> 	just fine?

An additional penalty for circumventing technical means ***strictly
limited to actions resulting in infringement of copyright*** might be a
fair compromise.  It's a little extra bite to existing law, but not an
expansion of scope.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>          http://kmself.home.netcom.com/

Praying for the victims.