[free-sklyarov] Senate votes to permit warrantless Net-wiretaps, Carnivore use (fwd)

Jay Sulzberger jays at panix.com
Fri Sep 14 19:54:01 PDT 2001

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 16:19:30 -0400
From: Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>
To: cryptography at wasabisystems.com
Subject: Senate votes to permit warrantless Net-wiretaps, Carnivore use

May be relevant, given the new focus in DC on restricting privacy and crypto...

Text of the Hatch-Feinstein "Combating Terrorism Act of 2001":
http://www.politechbot.com/docs/cta.091401.html

Discussion of the CTA:
http://www.fas.org/sgp/congress/2001/s091301.html

-Declan

********

    Senate OKs FBI Net Spying
    By Declan McCullagh (declan at wired.com)
    12:55 p.m. Sep. 14, 2001 PDT

    WASHINGTON -- FBI agents soon may be able to spy on Internet users
    legally without a court order.

    On Thursday evening, two days after the worst terrorist attack in U.S.
    history, the Senate approved the "Combating Terrorism Act of 2001,"
    which enhances police wiretap powers and permits monitoring in more
    situations.

    The measure, proposed by Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) and Dianne Feinstein
    (D-California), says any U.S. attorney or state attorney general can
    order the installation of the FBI's Carnivore surveillance system.
    Previously, there were stiffer restrictions on Carnivore and other
    Internet surveillance techniques.

    Its bipartisan sponsors argue that such laws are necessary to thwart
    terrorism. "It is essential that we give our law enforcement
    authorities every possible tool to search out and bring to justice
    those individuals who have brought such indiscriminate death into our
    backyard," Hatch said during the debate on the Senate floor.

    [...]