[free-sklyarov] Boycott Adobe: Call for Proposals

Martin Baker martinb at kemokid.com
Sat Sep 15 22:16:55 PDT 2001

On Sat, 15 Sep 2001, Bob La Quey wrote:

> I would like to hear more voices.

Although I would like to see a continued boycott of Adobe, this means
little for me, since as a FreeBSD and GNU/Linux user the only Adobe
software I use is occasionally their $-free but encumbered Acrobat Reader.

I think that, especially in this time of destruction, we should constantly
be searching for (often literally) constructive solutions. Helping improve
xpdf, ghostscript, and ghostview, and all free software in general, and
improving and creating free formats (such as Ogg Vorbis) seem to be the
best actions.

Note that this is a far less visible and immediate solution but
potentially much more fruitful long-term. A boycott may force changes but,
when ceased, leave Adobe alone. Competitive tools, once created, will
continue to exist and take power from Adobe and back to both the creators
and the enjoyers of books, music, images, movies, and web pages.

Peace,
Martin