[free-sklyarov] [jays@panix.com: [free-sklyarov-announce] New York City Noon Monday 17 September 2001: Rally to Free Dmitry Sklyarov]

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Sun Sep 16 22:08:54 PDT 2001

Wow!

----- Forwarded message from Jay Sulzberger <jays at panix.com> -----

From: Jay Sulzberger <jays at panix.com>
To: <free-sklyarov-announce at lists.xcf.berkeley.edu>
Subject: [free-sklyarov-announce] New York City Noon Monday 17 September 2001: Rally to Free Dmitry Sklyarov
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 00:54:07 -0400 (EDT)

Noon Monday 17 September 2001 at 41st Street and Fifth Avenue, before the
New York Public Library, on the Island of Manhattan, there will be a rally
to free Dmitry Sklyarov.

Note that this is not an LXNY event, but rather the ninth of a series of
rallies, whose Lead Organizer and First Contact is

Leonid Gorkin
lgorkin at excite.com or lgorkin1 at nyc.rr.com

<tactical
  importance="high">

Do not bring any sticks to this rally.

There is a New York City regulation forbidding sticks at gatherings.

The New York City police officers who told us of this regulation were
parfit gentle in their courtesy.

</tactical>

There have been and will be rallies in about twenty cities.

http://freesklyarov.org/calendar

Much of the organizing of New York City Rallies to Free Dmitry take place
on the fairuse mailing list of NYFairUse, which list may be joined at

http://www.nyfairuse.org

To download a flyer go to:

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/dmitry-links

For more information:

http://freesklyarov.org
http://eff.org
http://www.dibona.com/dmca
http://www.templetons.com/brad/free.html
http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0108.html

<personal
  who="Jay Sulzberger">

This week the United States of America was attacked.  One big objective of
the attack is to drive us to forget our Bill of Rights.  We will not
forget.  We have a right to use our computers in our homes as we see fit.
We will defend this right.

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/const/bor.html

Dmitry Sklyarov has been indicted.  If convicted on all counts he faces 25
years in prison.  He is accused of distributing a tool to manipulate files
in certain Adobe formats.  All manipulation occurs inside a single
computer.  The tool checks as best it can that the file it operates on is
owned by the person running the tool.  Under the DMCA, distribution of such
a tool is a felony.  If traditional copyright law were like the DMCA, then
distribution of paper, pencils, ink, pens, and cameras would also be a
felony.  Today computers for home and business use contain no spy hardware
nor any spy software, except for certain Trojans which may have slipped
past the owner's defenses.  Under the DMCA and further federal legislation
proposed by Senator Hollings all personal computers will be required to
contain over one megabyte of spy firmware which will monitor every single
read and write of the hard disk.  Under the proposed legislation the
operating system will report back to Infotainment Central any "suspicious
use" of the hard disk.  Law enforcement agencies will easily get secret
writs of computer tapping and be able to watch everything you do at home on
what once was your own machine.  Infotainment Central will be able to
disable your computer without permission from you.

Indictment:

http://archive.nytimes.com/2001/08/31/technology/31HACK.html
http://cryptome.org/dmitry-indict.htm
http://cryptome.org/dmitry-burton.htm

Proposed legislation:

http://www.politechbot.com/docs/hollings.090701.html
http://cryptome.org/sssca
http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0109.html
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/conversations/0034.html

Our rallies and all the work of propaganda and education have been
important in alerting the world to the threat facing not only Dmitry, but
everyone who uses computers and everyone who uses the Great Commons of the
Net.  Despite our alert, the government of the United States has chosen to
prosecute Dmitry.  Our response must be clear, forceful, and effective.

Why do we rally at the New York Public Library?  Because the Association of
American Publishers has declared that they plan to close down all free
public libraries.  Their chosen tool is the Digital Millennium Copyright
Act.  As demonstrated by the indictment of Dmitry Sklyarov, the DMCA does
indeed outlaw fair use of books that you, or the library, have bought and
paid for:

http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A36584-2001Feb7.html
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-201-6545588-0.html
http://www.visi.com/~tneu/pro-book.html
http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2001/08/23/pirate/index.html
http://www.macfergus.com/niels/dmca/index.html
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
http://www.fsf.org/philosophy
http://www.loc.gov/copyright/reports/studies/dmca/comments
http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/US_v_Sklyarov
http://www.eff.org/IP/DMCA/US_v_Sklyarov/boucher_ashcroft_dmca.html
http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/July01/ginsparg.archive.ws.html
http://arXiv.org/blurb/pg01unesco.html
http://xxx.lanl.gov
http://front.math.ucdavis.edu
http://www.baen.com/library/home.htm
http://www.lightandmatter.com/article/article.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/30/opinion/30LESS.html
http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/08/07/lessig.html
http://www.immaterial.net/page.php3?id=44
http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/articles/issue12/LU12-ebenmoglen.html
http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu
http://cryptome.org
http://www.ala.org

We need marchers and leafleteers and copiers of leaflets and designers of
leaflets and propagandizers and lobbyists and lawyers and coders and water
carriers and publicists and diplomats.  Come to the Rally and help!  Come
to the Rally and meet allies!

Dmitry Sklyarov today faces twenty-five years in prison for distributing a
program which allows you to make fair use of books you have bought and paid
for.  Come to the Rally and help get Dmitry free!  Free to go home and free
to do his work.

</personal>

Jay Sulzberger <secretary at lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY