[free-sklyarov] Re: Why don't the subscribers of this mailing list use gpg og pgp?

David Haworth david.haworth at altavista.net
Mon Sep 17 00:17:49 PDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 07:02:58PM +0200, DeBug wrote:
> I can't agree with that. I am always free to say everything i want
> though i my be brought to prison for what i say, but i am always free
> and i do not need encryption for doing any statements

Encryption technology gives you 2 things:

1. The ability to say what you like, in private, to someone, without
fear that others are eavesdropping

2. The ability to not say what you don't want - i.e. not to have
statements falsely attributed to you.

The second is perhaps the most important for public discussion. With
digital media, it's far too easy to impersonate someone else.

Dave

--
David Haworth
Baiersdorf, Germany