[free-sklyarov] NY Fair Use Canvassing Results

Seth Johnson seth.johnson at realmeasures.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 17 05:31:24 PDT 2001

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Canvassing Results
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 00:59:00 -0400
From: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson at RealMeasures.dyndns.org>
To: fairuse at mrbrklyn.com

Results for Canvassing Tactic, 9/9/01:

Petition Signatures:       43
Doors Knocked on:         276

Parity Rate per doors knocked: 15.6%

The parity rate above is very impressive, and shows that our canvassers
have a very emulative practice.  It does not show how many people we
reached, whether on the sidewalk or at their doors, however.  The rate
we got among people we actually reached is obviously much higher.

We need to get the right denominators: how many we approached/reached in
person, and how many of those stopped to hear the rap.

This rate shows us that people in the area we targetted are genuinely
concerned about the DMCA and its effect on libraries.

We need to track how many signed the petition among those we actually
reached in person, how many said they would send the letter, how many
volunteered to help us actively in our campaign.

Those who volunteer to come to a meeting or help in future tactics are
high viability volunteers, who build the strength of the organization.

I signed one person who volunteered to come to a meeting, another three
who wanted us to contact them about what we're doing in the future --
not enough to count on to actually follow through.  But that grows as
you implement practice, showing you're in motion.

We can hone our tools and our rap and determine how well our approach
really works now, based on reproducing or improving on these results on
the next outreach.

Most of all, we put together a team of organizers who displayed great
leadership qualities and ability to deliver on the goals that we
addressed with the tactic.

Seth Johnson