[free-sklyarov] Boycott Adobe: Call for Proposals

proclus at iname.com proclus at iname.com
Tue Sep 25 16:39:36 PDT 2001

On 25 Sep, David Haworth wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 25, 2001 at 12:44:22AM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
>>
>> Specifically, quoting from Adobe's FAQ:
>>
>> http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200108/elco
>>
>>    - we respect the grand jury's and federal government's role in
>>      prosecuting this case.
>>
>>    - we are in complete agreement with the government's decision to
>>      prosecute the company, ElcomSoft
>>
>>    - Adobe intends to cooperate fully with the government as required by
>>      law.
>>
>> These three positions must change for me to be satisfied.  Other
>> individuals or organizations are welcome to follow their own council.
>
> Weasel words - I expect nothing else from a company of Adobe's
> standing.
>
> I've dropped acroread too for normal documents (xpdf is much faster
> and renders better on the screen too). But neither xpdf nor
> gv work correctly with a ppower4 presentation (which I use to
> avoid Microsoft software). If anyone can suggest an alternative
> I'd be happy to use it.
>
> Dave

For what it is worth, I had one PowerPoint presentation, that I
converted to consecutive PNGs after taking screenshots of each slide.
Now, I can use ImageMagick (or Quicktime) for the presentation.
AbiWord, TeX, The GIMP, etc, will do just fine for future productions.
I'm through with PowerPoint, Acroread, PhotoShop, and so on.  I'll keep
Word and IE around to verify RTF/HTML files for the folks who insist on
it (yuck!).  Unfortunately, that appears to still be a vocational
requirement in my field.

BTW, Mac OSX comes with a very nice RTF editor called TextEdit, and an
excellent PDF viewer called Preview.  All OSX apps can output PDF
files, so you can use TextEdit to make PDFs if you want.  OSX also
recognizes file name extensions correctly, a first for the Mac!  For
your friends who are upgrading to OSX, we know that some of them will
never give up Mac OS, but there is no good reason to use Acroread or
 Word anymore IMHO.  If the OSX software is not enough for them, then
they can check out some of the powerful software that we have at
GNU-Darwin. We can help them convert their Word documents to less
offensive formats.  It works real nice.

Regards,
proclus
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/