[free-sklyarov] Seybold session yesterday

Christopher R. Maden crism at maden.org
Thu Sep 27 02:09:04 PDT 2001

At 02:08 27-09-2001, Alex Katalov wrote:
>CRM> There are certainly problems with that argument; in particular, as
>Alex and
>CRM> Vladmir K. have pointed out here, the terms of use for many ebooks isn't
>CRM> known in advance; Dmitry's lawyer pointed this out at the session.  But
>CRM> that, itself, is something consumers can vote against by refusing to
>buy an
>CRM> ebook with unknown terms.
>
>If you or anybody else can point me to ANY eBook store with exact
>terms of use are known before purchase (I mean eBook in Adobe eBook Reader
>format)

I don't know of any.  I said "many" because (a) I wasn't specifically
referring to Adobe ebooks, and (b) I'm a pedant and I don't know for a fact
that there aren't any Adobe ebook stores that tell you the permissions in
advance.  I don't care for the Adobe Acrobat eBook Reader, regardless of
the content, so I haven't looked into it very much.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.