[free-sklyarov] Fwd: Who is The Biggest Pirate?

Ilya Volynets ilya at theIlya.com
Thu Sep 27 10:57:34 PDT 2001

Here is a small letter someone put together and sent to
piracy-reporting eMail address of AAP.

Subject: Who is The Biggest Pirate?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 10:53:47 -0700
From: anatoly <anatoly at total-knowledge.com>
To: ahoffman at publishers.org

http://www.publishers.org/home/itr/reward.htm

I have got on this site just out of curiosity in relation to "Adobe /
Sklyarov" case.

It is my opinion that the most powerful engine of modern society development
is cultural progress, which in turn depends directly on free circulation of
ideas and works of art. I mean work of art in wide sense of the word: books,
movies, videos, music media, etc. Books, news paper articles go in the first
and last place here, they are the most important.

What AAP does is just horrible. The clear trend here is to limit all free
circulation of ideas, which in long run means to turn our society into police
state (like former USSR, for example) and to actually slow down any normal
development.

In short run publishers will simply kill their market. The primitive idea of
their is loss of subscription and royalty revenues, but you cannot be sure
that those who want book for free would pay for it. USA is not "reading
country", but opposite: it is mostly "TV watching" country. So, if you want
to develop reading market then make book as accessible as possible: people,
who copy your book by their own means save your advertisement money. On this
soil real book lovers grow, and real book lover will rather pay for good
publication instead of handmade copy.

One more point is that Copyright laws in their today form do not protect
authors, but kill them. I understand this sounds quite radical, but I believe
this is truth. If an author cannot give his or her work to any publisher,
etc. this means he or she must predict who will pay the best AND FOR WHAT.
And this means the author is not free any more.

My conclusion is: all you have done up to date and are trying to do further
is horrible. I would say AAP is trying hard to actually steal culture from
people and I would ask then, who is the biggest pirate here?

Sincerely,

Anatoly Volynets