[free-sklyarov] Security warning draws DMCA threat

Seth Finkelstein sethf at sethf.com
Sun Aug 4 00:53:28 PDT 2002

On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 02:15:29AM -0400, Ruben I Safir wrote:
> Ech
>
> Does it matter?

	Think of it as history in the making. Along the lines of

First man in space - Yuri Gagarin
First American in space - Alan Shepard (not John Glenn, he was US first orbit)
First woman in space - Valentina Tereshkova
First American woman in space - Sally Ride
Etc. - I got these from http://neurolab.jsc.nasa.gov/answ_pers.htm

	We're now working on:
First programmer jailed from DMCA charges - Dmitry Sklyarov
First American programmer jailed from DMCA charges - [to be determined]
First (insert-type-here) research threatened by DMCA - Felten, SnoSoft, etc.

	I think I arguably have "First programmer chilled by the DMCA",
since I was worried about it way back, regarding my anti-censorware work.
And the Library Of Congress DMCA censorware exemption indicates that
worry was valid (even now I'm dumping a lot of code-related anti-censorware
work, since the DMCA censorware exemption doesn't cover code, and I
*don't* want that first-American-jailed title :-( )

	This could be an "amusing" list. We can look forward to:

First programmer jailed from DMCA conviction (found guilty after trial)
First academic researcher jailed from DMCA conviction ("conspiracy" counts?)
First (different-type-here) research threatened by DMCA

	And so on.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf at sethf.com  http://sethf.com
Anticensorware Investigations - http://sethf.com/anticensorware/