[free-sklyarov] Copyright Contradictions

jok707s at smsu.edu jok707s at smsu.edu
Thu Aug 8 02:49:26 PDT 2002

Mickey's posting on Aug. 6 reveals some of the fundamental problems in the
current "system," but I think that they need to be stated more explicitly.

This planet has two huge industries that are essentially incompatible with
each other.  The older one, built around traditional copyright assumptions, is
based on restricting what people can do with information; the newer one, tied
to many advancing technologies (primarily electronic), rests on selling people
tools that give them more and more power over information.  Some companies are
heavily involved in both halves of the dilemma at the very same
time--Microsoft is probably the biggest example of this.

Since the copyright-destroying effects of the new technologies crept up on the
world (we all know how short-sighted raw greed can be), millions of
jobs--indeed, many entire careers--became tied to each part of the
contradiction before the overall problem became clearly visible, so a lot of
people are solidly bound and determined to somehow have their cake and eat it
too.  There is just enough of a bare theoretical possibility of this to keep
people trying.

In reality, of course, no system of technology or law enforcement or both is
going to be able to preserve the kind of environment that Michael Eisner, Jack
Valenti, &c would like to see; it would require the kind of bizarre global
totalitarian state that Franz Kafka and George Orwell might dream up if they
dropped LSD together and tried to collaborate on a novel.  However, a lot of
bought-and-paid-for legislators are going to keep working for a long time on
laws that will supposedly make it happen.  The tragicomic mess will probably
continue for quite a while before we see a total collapse of copyright.  As so
often happens, the biggest short-term beneficiaries will be the lawyers.

Joel Kahn