[free-sklyarov] ElcomSoft verdict: Not guilty

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Tue Dec 17 12:42:38 PST 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 04:30:35AM +0900, chandler wrote:
> Yes, this is an odd business. The judgement seems to be just woolliness
> (I suppose that's Legal Mind for you)
>

> [snip]
> > U.S. Assistant
> > Attorney Scott Frewing charged that company representatives knew all
> > along that they were violating the DMCA by designing and offering the
> > software to the public.
>
> Interesting thought: the programmers and management in a Russian company
> in Russia are assumed to spend their time thinking about US law.
> Whatever the US government might think, I don't believe any other
> government has ever acknowledged this supposed pan-galactic jurisdiction
> for one particular country. Or is it assumed that in the same way,
> American programmers spend lots of their time boning up on Egyptian,
> Venezuelan, and Japanese law?

Well, to be fair, most countries assume this kind of omnipotence, at
least theoretically, if they deem part of the "crime" to occur within
their jurisdiction. So, for instance, I can sue you for libel in the UK
if I'm you're seen to be defaming me in Britain - no matter where I
published my comment, or where you live. It's not just a US thing.

> > ... turned on ElcomSoft's state of mind during the period it was offering
> > the software.
>
> I should think anyone who is thinking constantly about all the laws of
> the hundred whateveritis countries that belong to the United Nations
> would have a pretty complicated state of mind, actually.

Don't worry, they're streamlining this. The Hague Convention on
Jurisdiction and Foreign Judgements, in particular, is an ongoing
process to make all country's laws applicable everywhere. Oh yes, be
very afraid.

http://www.cptech.org/ecom/jurisdiction/whatyoushouldknow.html

d.