[free-sklyarov] Sklyarov reflects on DMCA travails

Richard M. Smith rms at computerbytesman.com
Fri Dec 20 06:55:27 PST 2002

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-978497.html?tag=fd_lede1_hed

Sklyarov reflects on DMCA travails

By Lisa M. Bowman
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
December 20, 2002, 4:00 AM PT

SAN MATEO, Calif.--Russian programmer Dmitry Sklyarov thinks it was
unfair of prosecutors to play his videotaped deposition at the ElcomSoft
trial rather than calling him to the stand.

But after a legal saga that's included a surprise arrest outside his Las
Vegas hotel room, three weeks in jail, and visa tangles that almost
prevented him from coming back to the United States for trial, Sklyarov
has decided not to worry about situations over which he has no control.

"During my life I'm trying not to spend too much time trying to find
what means for me things I cannot change," Sklyarov, 27, said in his
first interview since testifying in the criminal copyright case of
ElcomSoft, his employer.