[free-sklyarov] next

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Mon Jan 7 00:52:01 PST 2002

Martin Baker writes:

> Can someone post the addresses of people we should send letters to to a)
> thank them for the agreement freeing Dmitry and b) tell them we want the
> charges against Elcomsoft dropped?

If you mean the people in the U.S. Attorney's Office, you can reach
them at

   United States Attorney
   Northern District of California

   11th Floor, Federal Building
   450 Golden Gate Avenue, Box 36055
   San Francisco, California  94102

At the time the case was announced, that office said that

   The prosecution is the result of an investigation by agents of the
   Federal Bureau of Investigation. Scott Frewing and Joseph Sullivan are
   the Assistant U.S. Attorneys who are prosecuting the case with the
   assistance of Lauri Gomez.

The office is led by U.S. Attorney David Shapiro (at the time the
charges were announced, it was nominally led by Robert Mueller, now
Director of the FBI).  Mr. Shapiro isn't necessarily working on the
case, although I don't doubt that he's heard about it -- perhaps even
from some of our megaphones. :-)

I don't know for sure whether Frewing, Sullivan, and Gomez are still
working on the case.  You could probably find out by calling the U.S.
Attorney's Office at (415)436-7200; I remind everyone not to harass or
threaten the U.S. Attorney or his staff.

If you write to them, you'll probably get a form letter in reply
explaining what the DMCA is.  On the other hand, I haven't heard
anyone say that public attention hurts.

A quick reminder for those who are new to this list: a "U.S. Attorney"
is a lawyer who works for the U.S. government as its chief prosecutor
for a particular Federal judicial district -- like the Northern
District of California, where Dmitry Sklyarov and Elcomsoft were
charged (mainly because Adobe is located here).  The "Assistant U.S.
Attorneys" are lawyers who are members of a U.S. Attorney's staff and
who represent the U.S. government in cases.  As the chief prosecutor
for a district, the U.S. Attorney is the Federal equivalent of a
District Attorney (but doesn't have that title).

You can also theoretically write to the Attorney General of the United
States (the boss of all the U.S. Attorneys), but Mr. Ashcroft is a bit
busy at the moment... :-)

Some companies and trade associations are continuing to praise the
prosecution of Elcomsoft, even if they finally endorse the decision to
send Dmitry home -- you could write to them to express disapproval of
their position.  (The opinions of trade associations can be extremely
influential.)

People in the U.S. can write to their Senators and Representative.
Some Members of Congress, or their staffs, are paying attention to
this issue; others aren't (yet).

http://www.congress.org/

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Reading is a right, not a feature!