[free-sklyarov] [Fwd: Re: [free-jon] Thoughts on how to respond]

Seth Johnson seth.johnson at RealMeasures.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 11 12:00:27 PST 2002

-------- Original Message --------
   Subject: Re: [free-jon] Thoughts on how to respond
      Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 11:41:05 -0800
      From: Robin Gross <robin at eff.org>
        To: Marc Perkel <marc at perkel.com>,free-jon at eff.org

I just spoke with Jon and Per.  They reported that there
were protests in Norway tonight over Jon's indictment and
will be a protest tomorrow in front of the Norwegian
parliament.

The person to write to and request the charges be dropped
is:
  Chief Prosecutor Inger Marie Sunde of the Norwegian
Economic Crime Unit
  Post Box 8193 0034 OSLO

I'm checking on other politicians who may be in a position
to do something here.  Jon will send me contact info for
Electronic Frontier Norway (EFN), who we should coordinate
with if possible.

Thanks,
Robin

At 11:25 AM 1/11/2002 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Just throwing out some thoughts here on how to respond to
> this latest
> prosecution of Jon Johansen.
>
> In Dmitry - we immediately organized protests putting the
> heat on Adobe and
> they caved in. Eventually the government had to follow.
>
> First of all - I see this was a war over who controlls the
> net. So lets start
> there.
>
> I say - the net is owned by the people of the planet and
> is owned and
> controlled by no one. I believe that it is absolutely
> imperitive to the future
> of the human race that the net never be in the control of
> any government or
> combination of governments. The net is ours - and we must
> never let them take
> it from us.
>
> Having said that - I believe that the MPAA and content
> industries who want to
> controll all media for profit and can buy givernment
> influence if conspiring
> with governments who want to be able to pass laws to
> control the net. To read
> your email and spy on you (US Patriot Act) and otherwise
> oppress thinking and
> free expression.
>
> I believe that this case and the arrest of Dmitry are
> attempts by governments
> and corporations who control governments to terrorize us
> "computer
> professionals" into submission through criminal action.
>
> Our response. Protests - long and loud - smashing disks in
> front of TV
> cameras. In this case - as you can see on the EFF web
> site. the MPAA is the
> force behind the prosectutor - and - since they are doing
> it for money - we
> need to hurt them by attacking them publically and hurting
> their public image.
>
> On a technolical front. We need to develop mure software
> that undermines the
> ability of a government to control us. I believe that
> everything that goes
> over the internet should be strongly encrypted by default.
> I believe that we
> should eliminate anything that requires a central point
> where control can be
> exerted. I believe that we need to establish as much as
> possible more ways to
> do private secure networks in manners that make control
> technologically
> impossible.
>
> So - lets organize some protests. Let's get some news
> coverage. Lets start
> disking out some pain and show the MPAA that we can bite
> back.

Robin D. Gross - Cyberspace Attorney @ Law - Intellectual
Property
Director - Campaign for Audiovisual Free Expression (CAFE)
Electronic Frontier Foundation
454 Shotwell Street, San Francisco, CA 94110
e: robin at eff.org    w: http://www.eff.org
p: 415.863.5459    f: 415.436.9993
http://www.eff.org/cafe
http://www.eff.org/IP/Open_licenses