[free-sklyarov] Re: Neutralizing the Stealing Meme

Wendy Seltzer wendy at seltzer.com
Fri Jan 11 18:04:30 PST 2002

At 11:57 AM 1/11/02 -0800, tom poe wrote:

> > My hope is that "word games" is short enough to work against
> > "filesharing is stealing".  But I think that this is a FAQ
> > entry instead, because the explanation is too complex and
> > because it's not an aggressive counterattack.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> > - Lucas
> >

>Hi:  Is there an acknowledged threshold at which one can point to?  In other
>words, at what point does file-sharing become a criminal offense?

One place to look is the No Electronic Theft ("NET") Act of 1997, which
removed the requirement of monetary gain from the definition of the
criminal offense.   The NET Act was enacted specifically to reverse the
LaMacchia case,  when prosecutors found themselves without the necessary
laws to go after not-for-profit copying and distribution of software.

See <http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/17-18red.htm>
Specifically 17 U.S.C. § 506
<quote>
§ 506. Criminal offenses
(a) Criminal Infringement.--Any person who infringes a copyright
willfully  either--

1.for purposes of commercial advantage or private financial gain, or

2.by the reproduction or distribution, including by electronic means,
during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copies or phonorecords of 1 or more
copyrighted works, which have a total retail value of more than $1,000,
shall be punished as provided under section 2319 of title 18. For purposes
of this subsection, evidence of reproduction or distribution of a
copyrighted work, by itself, shall not be sufficient to establish willful
infringement.
</quote>

That is, there's some leeway on whether the infringement was "willful," but
otherwise the threshold is a $1,000 combined list price of the works copied
or distributed.

(Sorry to retain all the cc's, but I can't tell where the message
originated...)
--Wendy

Wendy Seltzer -- wendy at seltzer.com
Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School
http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/seltzer.html