Crossposting (was: Re: [free-jon] Re: [free-sklyarov] Neutralizing the Stealing Meme)

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Fri Jan 11 19:15:23 PST 2002

tom poe writes:

> Hi, Seth:  You raise a good point.  However, if I may.  What's interesting
> about all these lists, in this particular instance, is the spreading of the
> word in an exaggerated fashion.  Any list that is remotely related, is a
> candidate for these discussions, as the situation is rapidly approaching a
> crisis that cannot be ignored by the general public, any longer.
> Communication is the name of the game, and as many lists as possible need to
> take up the glove, and move to the center of the ring.  Nope, in this case, I
> would strongly encourage as much cross-posting with as many lists as
> possible, and sort the bandwidth concerns out later.  Spam is our friend,
> ally, and weapon if-you-will.  What do you think?
> Thanks, Tom

I agree that it's important to spread the word widely about
possibly-related issues, but I can't believe that all of the
subscribers to each list would appreciate that.  First, some people
are subscribed to more than one of these lists.  Second, and more
importantly, some people's interest in a particular topic is narrow
and specific, so that they don't appreciate hearing about peripherally
related things.

I've heard people complain that people who care about one thing
_should_ care about other related things and actually criticize some
activists for not being appropriately broadly concerned.  I can
understand the importance of building coalitions and networks between
people concerned about various things, but I also want to express
appreciation and respect for _everyone_ who's worked to free Dmitry
(for example), including those who just wanted to hear about Dmitry.

Therefore, I think the appropriate thing is to post only on topic,
although it's reasonable to send _announcements_ to a list when they
would be of interest to a typical subscriber.  It's not usually good
practice to continue a cross-posted discussion unless it's really
clear that it's really relevant to all of them.  (What's more, with
current anti-spam measures, people who try to participate without
being subscribed to all of the lists involved are likely to get their
messages bounced each time.)

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Reading is a right, not a feature!
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   |                 -- Kathryn Myronuk