[free-sklyarov] Comic book sales limitations

Jei jei at cc.hut.fi
Tue Jan 29 17:15:59 PST 2002

It has come to my attention that VIZ Comics is implementing trade
limitations on to the sellers of their Dragon Ball Z manga (comic)
books, similar to DVD-region codings.

UK and US retailers are apparently forced to NOT sell the books to
anyone outside UK, US, New Zealand or Australia, as I understand it,
or the (small shops at least) will not get them any more.

I find this very frustrating, as the books in question are very hard
to get because of it in Finland, and several net shops refuse to sell
them to you on the basis of where you live or where you try to order
them to.

This applies to major resellers in the US (who deliver stuff to comic
books in Finland), as well as web-shops when you try to order the manga
from UK or US shops to Finland.

I am VERY frustrated by this!!!

Is this kind of racist limitation of trade legal?

This example is not the only one of it's kind, and I'm afraid
the trend is getting worse.