[free-sklyarov] Palladium consumer oppression scheme: Trust Microsoft?

proclus proclus at mac.com
Sun Jul 7 20:23:08 PDT 2002

   Here is the round up on Microsoft's latest world domination plan.

       ZDNet: [1]MS: Why we can't trust your 'trustworthy' OS
       The Register: [2]MS to eradicate GPL
       Washington Post: [3]Microsoft Wants Security Hard-Wired in Your
       Computer
       Slashdot: [4]MS Palladium patent
       Read the [5]Palladium FAQ

       Microsoft's notions of "security" and "trust" are obviously
       one-sided, and such a system would certainly be used to squash
       fair use and first sale rights. Moreover, mono-culture is bad
       policy for computer security; Damages will be widespread when the
       system is inevitably compromised. The internet is our public
       common, but in this scheme Microsoft would be the sole gatekeeper.
       Free software can protect you from such outrages, because the
       source code is anchored to the commons for all to see. Use free
       software instead of Microsoft products.

   GNU-Darwin free software recommendations

   Web browser: [6]Dillo
       Word Processor: [7]AbiWord
       Spreadsheet: [8]Gnumeric
       Email app: [9]Postilion
       Graphics editor: [10]The Gimp
       Presentation SW: [11]ImageMagick
       Personal encryption: [12]GnuPG
       Web Services: [13]DotGNU

   All of this software is available for Apple computers and Intel PCs,
   from [14]The GNU-Darwin Distribution