[free-sklyarov] Adobe Hackers: We're Immune

Tom Trelvik ttt at cwru.edu
Mon Mar 4 23:17:43 PST 2002

<quoted from http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,50797,00.html >
Burton said the company was not specifically "targeting" the software to
Americans, but that the software was instead available to anyone on the
Internet, regardless of residence.

But Assistant U.S. Attorney Scott Frewing dismissed those claims, arguing
that the Internet is a "physical presence" made up of many computers in
America, and that "the U.S. has every right to stop contraband" on those
machines.
</quoted from http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,50797,00.html >

         Very interesting approach Elcomsoft is taking.  Is anybody aware
of any legal reasons why Mr. Frewing's views wouldn't also apply to the US
being subject to the laws of other nations regarding the internet?  I'm
sure China, a number of ultra-conservative Islamic nations, and many
others, I'm sure, would like to see a number of things currently on the
internet made unavailable.  If Mr. Frewing had his way, what's to stop
those countries from forcing the US government into enforcing their laws
for them?

         My apologies if these questions are ignorant of other legal issues
at play, but I'm obviously no lawyer.  =)

Tom