[free-sklyarov] Adobe Hackers: We're Immune

Seth Finkelstein sethf at sethf.com
Mon Mar 4 23:48:33 PST 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 02:17:43AM -0500, Tom Trelvik wrote:
>          Very interesting approach Elcomsoft is taking.  Is anybody aware
> of any legal reasons why Mr. Frewing's views wouldn't also apply to the US
> being subject to the laws of other nations regarding the internet?  I'm
> sure China, a number of ultra-conservative Islamic nations, and many
> others, I'm sure, would like to see a number of things currently on the
> internet made unavailable.  If Mr. Frewing had his way, what's to stop
> those countries from forcing the US government into enforcing their laws
> for them?

	Welcome to the wonderful world of globalization (pun intended).
This whole topic is being argued and hashed-out everywhere from the
General Agreements on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) to the *World* Trade
Organization (WTO) to the *World* Intellectual Property Organization (WIP0)
to some other acronyms you may have heard.

	There are two basic responses:

1) In countries which matter, a treaty protocol will be negotiated to
resolve this issue where there are serious legal conflicts (such as
differing intellectual property laws). The key word here is "harmonization".

2) In countries which don't matter, they can try to enforce their laws
and see if anybody cares - Cuba and Nicaragua are notable examples.

	Just look at the topic from a general business view, not a
cyberspace-is-elsewhere view, and it should be clearer.

--
Seth Finkelstein  Consulting Programmer  sethf at sethf.com  http://sethf.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/19/technology/circuits/19HACK.html