[free-sklyarov] Limit copying and we may end up copying the USS R

proclus at iname.com proclus at iname.com
Tue Mar 26 04:02:03 PST 2002

On 26 Mar, Vladimir Katalov wrote:

> http://www.observer.co.uk/business/story/0,6903,672840,00.html

Thanks so much for that excellent link, and nice to hear that someone
remembers history.  I'm old enough to remember Brezhnev, and
book-loving people were repulsed by the samizdat laws.   I also
remember that copier access was restricted in the US by business people,
who seemingly bought into the notion that the purpose of copyright is to
keep people ignorant.

Holling's reactionary proposal and the DMCA are also reminiscent of
medieval attempts to block printing of the Bible.  Book burning quickly
springs to mind too, which illustrates a key point that was missed in
the article.  It is simply immoral to restrict copying in this manner,
a lesson that apparently must be learned over and over again.

Regards,
proclus
http://www.gnu-darwin.org/

--