[free-sklyarov] RE: Government Snooping

D Wornock dwornock at comcast.net
Sat May 4 10:40:33 PDT 2002

I cannot believe that anything I do would be of much interest to anyone and in that respect I am protected.  However, snooping, especially Government snooping, annoys me even more than most other peeping Toms.  For example, the following is in my opinion an outrage:

Central District Court Magistrate Charles F. Eick told SonicBlue to gather ``all available information'' about how consumers use the Santa Clara company's latest generation ReplayTV 4000 video recorders, and turn the information over to the film studios and television networks suing it for contributing to copyright infringement.

Now I wonder how much snooping, especially Government snooping, is going on with peoples use of the Internet.  I would solicit answers from those of you that have knowledge for the following two questions.

1.  Is there a copy, either maintained by the Internet providers and/or the Government, of every e-mail sent and received?
2.  Do either the Internet providers and/or the Government keep a record of every site visited on the Internet by any computer and perhaps the times and duration of the visits to the site?