[free-sklyarov] Need Links on IP Law Abuses

Seth Johnson seth.johnson at RealMeasures.dyndns.org
Fri Oct 11 03:48:22 PDT 2002

(Forwarded from C-FIT Content Control Outreach list)

-------- Original Message --------
Date: 12 Oct 2002 00:31:00 +1300
From: David McNab <david at rebirthing.co.nz>
To: C-FIT_Release_Community at RealMeasures.dyndns.org

Hi all,

In my new role as open source and digital fair-use rights
lobbyist, I've met with a very sympathetic reception from
one of the political parties in NZ. They are very concerned
and dismayed, as I've filled them in on some of the
intellectual property law abuses being perpetrated overseas.

They were almost in disbelief when I told them about stuff
like:
* Amazon 1-click patent
* Arrest of Dmitry Sklyarov
* Microsoft using licensing audits as threat to force
companies and organisations to sign expensive software
assurance contracts
* Illegality of viewing DVDs on Linux systems
* Draconian software EULAs
* Abuse of DMCA eg Scientologists shutting down
anti-scientology websites
* Constant extension of copyright terms to protect Mickey
Mouse
* General menace of software patents
* Huge difference between cost of Open Source systems versus
proprietary
* Looming threat of DRM, and lobbying efforts to force
replacement of all TVs, computers, stereos etc with heavily
secured digital hardware

I've since heard back from them, wanting links so they can
carry out their own investigations.

I could search the usual places like /., TheRegister etc,
and put something together myself.

But I'm writing to ask if any of you know of any good link
farms, which concentrates onto one page a set of high
quality links covering the above, on the general theme of
abuse of Intellectual Property Law, its emergence of IP Law
as plutocratic implement, and its fall as a regime for
protecting the independent creator.

I'm sure that between you all, you've already got more
excellent bookmarks than I could put together in a month.

If any of you know any good links pages and general digital
activism pages, can you please send them to me directly -
david at rebirthing.co.nz, and/or to the C-FIT list.

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards
David

C-FIT Content Control Outreach Discussion List
List Parent: seth.johnson at RealMeasures.dyndns.org
C-FIT Home:  http://RealMeasures.dyndns.org/C-FIT

To Subscribe/Unsubscribe: