[free-sklyarov] Adobe Files Suit to Protect Customers' Rights to Use Fonts

Richard M. Smith rms at computerbytesman.com
Wed Sep 4 06:44:19 PDT 2002

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020903/30424_1.html

Press Release Source: Adobe Systems Incorporated

Adobe Files Suit to Protect Customers' Rights to Use Fonts
Tuesday September 3, 6:36 pm ET

SAN JOSE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 3, 2002--Adobe Systems
Incorporated (Nasdaq:ADBE - News), the leader in network publishing,
today announced it has asked the U.S. District Court in San Jose,
Calif., for declaratory relief to resolve a contractual dispute that
Adobe has the right to permit its customers to embed ITC (International
Typeface Corporation) fonts in electronic documents. Adobe is also
filing an arbitration proceeding in London seeking affirmation of the
same contractual rights with respect to Monotype fonts. Adobe attempted
to resolve this matter informally with Monotype and ITC, but was
unsuccessful.

By taking these actions, Adobe hopes to resolve these issues for its
customers.

"Many years ago Adobe anticipated the shift to electronic documents. At
that time, we obtained the embedding rights from our font partners
necessary to permit the creation of electronic documents," said Jim
Heeger, senior vice president, cross-media products. "We are now
defending the rights we obtained for our customers to continue to
conduct business in the electronic age."

In addition, Adobe has asked the court to declare that Adobe's popular
Acrobat product does not violate certain provisions of the Digital
Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) as claimed by ITC and Agfa Monotype.
Adobe believes these claims are being made to gain ITC and Agfa leverage
in the contractual disputes. Adobe strongly disputes this claim and is
asking the court to rule that there is no violation of the DMCA.

About Adobe Systems Incorporated

Founded in 1982, Adobe Systems Incorporated (www.adobe.com), the leader
in network publishing, offers a comprehensive line of software for
enterprise and creative professional customers. Its products enable
customers to create, manage and deliver visually rich, compelling and
reliable content. Based in San Jose, Calif., Adobe is one of the world's
largest software companies.

This press release contains forward-looking statements related to
litigation that involves risks and uncertainties that could cause our
financial results to differ materially. Factors that might cause or
contribute to such differences include, but are not limited to: lengthy
legal proceedings, costs associated with litigation, diversion of
management's attention and resources, and an adverse judgment. When used
in this report, the words "hopes" ,"anticipated", "believes" and similar
expressions are generally intended to identify forward-looking
statements. For further discussion of these and other risks and
uncertainties, individuals should refer to the Company's SEC filings,
including the 2001 annual report on Form 10-K and quarterly reports on
Form 10-Q to be filed in 2002. The Company does not undertake an
obligation to update forward-looking statements.

Note to Editors: Adobe, the Adobe logo and Acrobat are either registered
trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United
States and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of
their respective owners.

--------
Contact:
     Adobe Systems Incorporated
     Holly Campbell, 408/536-6401 (Media)
     campbell at adobe.com
     Mike Saviage, 408/536-4416 (Investor Relations)
     ir at adobe.com